Monday, September 21, 2009

EASTCOAST WESTCOAST DISCONNECT

On July 29th of this year, we lost one the most important private collections of modern black art in the world. Peggy Copper Cafritz lost her home and everything she owned including over 300 pieces of work by African and African American art. Ms.Cafritz had just been featured in "O" magazine a few months before the fire. She was described as"...An influential Washington arts and education activist who in 1968 cofounded a summer arts workshop that became D.C.'s Duke Ellington School of the Arts."I was horrified when I learned of this tragic lost, sadden to my core.
Not just because of the great loss, but because until a friend on the east coast told me the story...
I had never heard of her.

How is it that a black woman with a masters in fine art isn't aware of someone like Ms. Cafritz.
I couldn't believe I had never heard of her, or of the collection or the school. Why is it the the news wasn't everywhere in the art community. A community here in Los Angeles that I am definitely apart of. It tells me that there is much work to be done in this area.
Gotta go, I will run with this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment